Re: [ST] Offside usage (Non ST but m/c in general)

In your message regarding Re: [ST] Offside usage (Non ST but m/c in general)
dated Fri, 16 Aug 2002 17:37:36 +0100, David Edmondson said that ...

>DE-
>DE-  On Friday, August 16, 2002, at 12:14  am, Mike Bostock wrote:
>
> > I would be interested in the grass roots opinion of riders here in order
> > gauge what sort of percentage would contemplate crossing the centre line
> > make progress and under what circumstances and/or their feelings on this
> > issue.
> >
>DE-
>DE-  Given *very* good visibility I straighten out kinks that way but given the
>DE-  visibility proviso it doesn't happen that often.

Which was my view.

However, my question had a 'hidden agenda'.  I simplified it purely to gauge
the response for those that crossed the centre line and those that didn't.

My argument was that all riders will cross the centre line at some time during
normal progress through a series of bends [we are not talking about overtaking
here]. Undoubtedly this act carries with it an element of risk which is
indisputable.  What I contested was that the psychology of making blanket
edicts "Thou must not cross into the opposite carriageway whilst making normal
progress" by training/standard setting organisations was flawed because the act
was inevitable. As it was inevitable they should make provision for training
riders in how to execute this SAFELY rather than purely ignoring it as being
'unacceptable'.  Here is part of my penultimate email on the subject.

I would be pleased to receive further responses/flak/general comments etc to
gauge the weight of opinion in this forum because I value the experience and
expertise that many of you possess.

- --
Mike Bostock
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/