[ST] (In praise of) ST Brakes

Did a braking and cornering course yesterday. Informative and fun, except
for nearly getting run off the track at the end of the day by an idiot on a
ST4 Duc who should have been in a 4WD Toyota! But that's another story.

No what I want to rant about is the ST's breaks, *NOT* my braking skills.
When we did the 100kph emergency breaking with no gears, no clutch (except
at the end to avoid stall) using just back or front brakes (i.e. very little
skill needed) I was amazed at how good the ST's brakes shaped up against the
other c. 22 bikes which ranged from FJRs to R1s to track-only light race
bikes. I used to think that my ST back brakes were next to useless, but
compared to others they were brilliant. Indeed, after I'd pulled up a good
5-8 m before most others using the back brake only for the second time, one
of the instructors asked me if the bike was fitted with ABS! The front-only
was equally as impressive.

Sadly, when we did the front + back + gear change combination, i.e. more
rider skill entered the equation, I was back with the mob, but at least I
know with practice I can improve things in the future and that -in an
emergency- the ST is going to look after me as good if not better than most
other bikes on the road :)

Nice one Triumph.

Barry
01 BRG ST