[no subject]

Rik.

Cambridge, United Kingdom.

- -----Original Message-----
From: peter.chittum@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:peter.chittum@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 9:19 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST] The Ol' Mileage Question (was Changing wheels)

- -----Original Message-----
From: David W. Funk [mailto:dwf@xxxxxxxxx]
Subject: Re: [ST] Changing wheels

> For changing the front wheel, I have found that it really helps to put the
> bike centerstand on top of a 1 inch board.

Yeah I remembered that little trick after I had already re-mounted the front
wheel.  Next time!

> I do get poor tire mileage, I think because of the roads I ride.

> David W. Funk
> '00 Triumph Sprint ST
> Pleasanton, CA

The one thing about riding style that I never hear discussed has to do with
compression braking vs. heavy brake use.  I got ~9000 miles off of the
BT57's, and I've heard of others getting better than that.  And then there
are some like David here who can't seem to get more than about 3k miles on
any tires.  I've heard that heavy braking can increase tire wear.  I wonder
if there's any correlation in our little group of listers.  What I was
thinking is:

high use of compression braking = typically longer tire life
     vs.
low use of compression braking = typically shorter tire life

And before the technocrats jump on me, I realize this is just a theory based
entirely on anecdotal and personal experience...I'm just curious since I
tend to use compression braking fairly heavily, and 9k miles on a set of
BT75's seems on the higher end.

Anyway, there seem to be so many factors that can lead two riders on the
same bike and the same tires to experience extremely disparate tire life,
we'll probably never know.

Peter Chittum - '01 BRG Sprint ST
San Jose, CA, USA

*

The information contained in this email and any attachments is likely to be confidential and legally privileged, and is for the intended recipient named above only. Any copying, dissemination, disclosure of or use of this email or its attachments unless authorised by us is prohibited, except that you may forward this email and/or attachments to a third party on a strict "need to know" basis. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by forwarding the email to legal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Please then delete this email and any full or partial copies of it.

You as the intended recipient must be aware and accept that email is not a totally secure communications medium.

Although we have taken all reasonable steps to make sure this email and any attachments are free from viruses, we do not (to the extent permitted by law) accept any liability whatsoever for any virus infection and/or compromise of security caused by this email and any attachment.

No contract may be formed or documents served by you on or with us by this email or any attachments unless expressly agreed otherwise by us. Any views expressed in this email or attachments by an individual are not necessarily those of any UbiNetics company.