Re: [ST] Frame Sliders

>My questions are, are they worth the cost and trouble?  Do they end up
>bending the frame in addition to the expected fairing damage when you low
>side?  Plastic is expensive, but Aluminum is even more expensive.
>
>John

John,

Here are two very different examples........

1)  I had SkyKing frame sliders on my ST when I went down in Arkansas at 65+
mph.  The bike started a low-side, I bailed and the bike immediately flipped
into a hi-side landing hard on the right, then slid another 150 feet down
the two lane road.  Bike ended up a total, BUT, the sliders protected the
radiator and oil cooler to the point, after some on-road repair, I was able
to ride it home to Dallas, 400+ miles.  Without the SkyKing sliders the
radiators would have been toast and I would have had to truck it home.  The
right slider took a big direct hit and then partially sheared (as it is
designed to do) sliding down the road.  The delrin end was ground all the
way down.  No frame damage occurred from the slider.

2)  A good riding friend, who will remain nameless unless he pipes up,  had
the MoKu sliders on his ST, and during a low speed/ lo-side the frame broke
at the attachment point.  The bike was a total because of this, the rest of
the damage was cosmetic.

When I got my second '00-ST I immediately contacted SkyKingProducts and
ordered another set of sliders.  They don't put "quality" sliders on race
bikes just for looks, they are there for the purpose of keeping the bike in
the race, not to protect the plastic.

STeve
el donut
Loco Dawg