[ST] The Education of Devil Dawg (part 1)

Oh what a week to learn things. I already posted what I learned on
Wednesday morning then on Wed. afternoon we learned that we had
squirrels living in our eaves. On Friday we learned that our boiler has
a crack in it.

Anyway, after assessing the damage to the Blue Devil I found that it is
not quite that bad. Full damage report and pictures to follow in part 2.

Now for the questions:
1) One tab broke off and one tab is cracked on the belly pan. Has anyone
been successful in gluing fairing parts? Is any special wundercement needed?

2) After thoroughly checking the engine for any signs that my baby was
leaking body fluids I fired it up. It ran smoothly. I checked around for
leaks; none to be found. After I shut it off I took a break then went
back out and checked for leaks again. There was a small puddle of oil
under the rear tire! I traced it up to the side arm then back to a
rubber tube in front of the rear shock. This tube disappears under the
fuel tank. I suspect that the oil is coming out of this tube because the
bike was on its side for a little while and this is a breather tube of
sorts and running the engine for a while forced the oil to flow out the
tube. Am I correct in my assumption? Is this tube in the correct place?
It seems like an odd place for a crankcase breather tube. A picture of
the tube with a drip of oil on it:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/slawler/Accident120402/oilytube.jpg
I apologize for the bad focus but I couldn't get my head and the camera
under there simultaneously.

3)When the pannier was liberated from its home the hooked metal tab that
the latch hooks onto was straightened. I will remove it and attempt to
re-bend it. I'm sure that the metallurgists here will tell me all about
metal fatigue. In the event that I am unsuccessful in my endeavor I will
need to replace it. Does anyone out there have a pannier that was
trashed and have its hook in good shape that they would be willing to
sell. Or does anyone know if that part can be purchased?

- --
Steve "Devil Dawg" Lawler

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full."
                    -- Henry Kissinger