[ST] The Education of Devil Dawg (Part 2)

The results of the training seminar that I attended on Wednesday morning:
The big picture:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/slawler/Accident120402/ouch.jpg

The brittle in cold weather left pannier:
The metal tab was un-bent. The lid was destroyed. Oddly enough I have a
spare lid from when a co-worker scratched the heck out of it and bought
me a new one. The little "Triumph" badge is also scratched.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/slawler/Accident120402/hardbag.jpg

The pannier latch:
The small metal tab was straightened. I easily bent it back. I know, I
know, metal fatigue. I'll take my chances, I like living on the edge.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/slawler/Accident120402/baglatch.jpg

The foot rest was bent. The hero blob was ground down a bit. The shifter
was ground down a bit too and bent. The rear rubber boot on the shifter
linkage was torn. The tab on the center stand suffered some road rash:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/slawler/Accident120402/shifter.jpg

Although it doesn't show well in this picture the knob on the side stand
was ground down a bit. I'll probably grind it square drill and tap it
and put in a bolt:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/slawler/Accident120402/stands.jpg

The belly pan has three pieces that broke off and a cracked tab. I
actually have all the pieces! Any repairs would be hidden once it is
reinstalled. And yes. that is dirt that you see all over the belly pan:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/slawler/Accident120402/bellypan.jpg

The clutch lever was bent upward. The bar end weight was scraped. In
this picture you can see where the mid fairing tab was broken too:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/slawler/Accident120402/clutch.jpg

The bottom of the fork tube, in a non-zen fashion, also became one with
the road:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/slawler/Accident120402/forktube.jpg

Also there is an abrasion on the cockpit fairing. That is something that
I can live with.

That about sums it up. I'll bet that at least one person out there is
asking, "Why fix it yourself? Aren't you insured?" Yes I am, but I have
a $500 deductible and we are in the middle of switching insurance
companies. Our new insurance company does not insure bikes. Insurance in
New Jersey is so unbelievably messed up that I could easily fill a
digest with tales of shopping for insurance, our inane insurance laws
and the fact that I have one son that just got his license last month
and another that gets his next week and so on and so on etc. ad nauseum.
Switching companies will save me about $3000 per year. That is not an
exaggeration. If you want me to tell the sordid details I will only do
so off list.

BTW Mort, I'm still searching.

- --
Steve "Devil Dawg" Lawler

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"I feel like a fugitive from the law of averages."
                    -- William H. Mauldin