[ST] Re: New ST killing batteries!

        Update:  We brought the recalcitrant new ST to Orange Co.
Triumph where they diagnosed the problem in ten minutes;... the
stator lead was not plugged in!  As I understand it, Triumph has made
a mod to the bikes consisting of thicker ignition wires for less
resistance.  Those bikes which were already manufactured but not yet
shipped underwent the mod at the factory; this was one of those
bikes.  Apparently the factory tech who did the mod failed to
reconnect this stator lead on reassembly and the alternator never put
out, thus killing the battery.  Since the tank has to be removed to
check it physically, it's not easy for the owner to find.

        It was repaired and the battery replaced under warranty and
yesterday we did a GREAT 200 mile loop in the windy, twisty hills of
San Diego country on a beautiful day and the bike ran perfectly.  Mo
says he's already forgotten the two weeks of hassles and all is
forgiven!!

        He's had an Interceptor the last couple years and - despite
the beginning problems - finds his new ST a much better ride in every
respect;... he loves it!

        All's well that ends well!
                                         doggydoo  - - - o&\o

End of st-digest V2002 #689