From: David W. Funk dwf@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 13:48:37 -0800
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ST] New engine break-in

I disagree with the mototuneusa guy!
There is more to breaking in a new engine then seating the rings. Just
think
of all the moving parts, bearings, and sliding surfaces. All wearing parts
should be given a change to "break in". Heat cycling is real and has
nothing
to do with heat treating anything. Hot parts expand, cold contract. The
mini
high spots that are being "broken in" cause local hot spots, so it is best
if you
let things cool down from time to time during break in.
.

David W. Funk
'00 Triumph Sprint ST
Pleasanton, CA