Re: [ST] Improvements for Sprint ST

On Sat, 14 Dec 2002 13:17:13 -0800, Just Daetrin wrote:

>I agree with all your suggestions, especially the speedo which can be hard
>to read in the rain, esp. at night.
>
>What I want is all the controls to be easily readable w/o glasses, at night,
>in the rain, with a slightly fogged helmet.
>
>A color LCD screen or similar display instead of just a regular black one -
>a bright color is easier to read - would be great. I would want a numeric
>speedo with big numbers instead of a dial with very small ones.  I could
>care less where on the band I am, what I want to know what speed I'm
>actually going.

I am not sure that color LCD screens are ready, cheap, durable, readable
enough at the current time, but it is a nice idea.

>The clock and odometer are also very hard to read and could benefit as
>above.

Since I don't look/read the clock or odometer very much during a ride,
improvements would be very minor.
But I wish ALL bike odometers were visable with the key off.

>I'd also like the switch for the heated grips to be better integrated into
>the cockpit instead of on a body panel, and to have it illuminated.

Illuminated switch would be great, but the current location is ok with me.

>Also, how about having a seat cowl that could be used with the topbox w/o
>having to modifiy it?  Or having the luggage key plastic in dark gray - or
>any color other than the ignition key - so it's instantly recognizable from
>the ignition key.  Or more durable hinges on the side panniers?

A seat cowl does nothing for me.
The real fix for the luggage key is to use the ignition key, with only one key no
problems.

>These changes to me - for the riding that I do - are much more important
>that a few more horsepower or having the bike weigh a few pounds less.

I agree, the current power & weight are ok, but I will take any improvements. I
assume the power improvements come more or less for free from the R&D
on the other models.

><possible tangent>
>In an ideal world, the helmet manufactures would add features such as built
>in comm and a HUD, and the motorcycle manufacturers would have a
>standardized data output jack that would transmit real-time data such as
>speed, rpm, lean angle, fuel, etc.  Tourers could then see mileage/speed
>info w/o having to look down, and sport folks could capture perf data on a
>PDA for later review.  If capturing your lap on video camera is good, how
>much better to see all your telemetry for your laps? (not sure about the
>last part, as I'm not a sport rider)
></possible tangent>

I think it is too soon for these things, but someday. Also I think a company like
Honda would have to set the standard.

David W. Funk
'00 Triumph Sprint ST
Pleasanton, CA