RE: [ST] 190 on rear

>When I put the first 190 D207 on my ST I did it
>because I was working the "more rubber == larger
>contact patch == better adhesion" argument.  Makes
>sense to me.  And, after switching I didn't notice
>_any_ degredation in the handling of the bike.  Maybe
>Troy Baylis and the boys can notice but I sure as
>hell can't.

Seeing as The factory engineers know a lot more about
tires and what size to throw to the ST than I, I'd
assume they were doing it correctly from the get-go in
terms of tire selection for the best turn-in and
adhesion while leaned over.

>I think a lot of the "slower turn in" comments need
>to be put into perspective.  It's like people who say
>that an ST is a crap bike compared to an R1.  Any
>modern bike is better than just about anybody who may
>choose to ride it.  If you are one of those very few
>people out there that can use the full capabilities
>of an ST then you may be able to feel the slower
turn->in.  Like I said, I can't and I've been riding
for 15 >years.

You're correct, most people can't use a bike to it's
limit, but why not run the best tire size (as
suggested/tested by the factory) for the best
performance?  Why take a chance on messing that up?
Even if u aren't going to ride the bike to it's
fullest, wouldn't u want to be prepared as best U
could for that one time in which U'll need that
adhesion to the road at full lean when u get in too
hot?

>As for "squidly", don't know.  I like the look in the
>same way I think a seat cowl looks good.  If having a
>tyre with a large contact area on my bike makes me a
>squid then, hey, I guess I'm a squid (even if I am
>riding a sports tourer...).

If u were in it for the looks why didn't u just say
that in the first place?  :p

U're actually getting a worse contact patch at full
lean angle as u cram a bigger and bigger tire on to
that rim.   A regular 180 that is meant for the
rim....has a nice profile to it, it curves around the
rim nicely as it comes to the edge of the rim...giving
u a steady contact patch for the most part til the
edge of the tire.  But if u throw a bigger tire on
there, the angle in which the crown forms around the
rim is harsher and more steep because there is more
tire to fit on the same rim, so as u lean the bike
over u have less a contact patch and the tire will
tend to flop over at lean.

This is just how I have read it and have found from
forcing a wider BT010 on my old Katat 750 because I
wanted that particular tire so bad.  Even though it
should have gotten a 150 on the back of it as opposed
to 160 width.

Links describing contact patches and wider tires
better than I can:

http://www.christmasinjuly.org/safety20.html
http://www.ironhorse-uk.com/fluids.htm

Bryce