Re: [ST] Rear Tire "Squaring Off" ?

Chris Warren wrote:

> 1.  What caused this wear pattern (tire overinflated or just normal
> wear)?

normal wear (more below)

> 2.  How will this affect traction/grip especially during cornering
> (rest of the tread on the tire is fine - not yet to wear indicator marks).

It will improve your "look at me, no hands" riding on straight roads..
 which, ironically, is how the flat spot developed; lots of straight
away highway / city driving.

[a more serious tone] the flat spot will cause some hesitation during
turn in, then the bike will slightly fall into the turn, then it will
(should) feel nice and solid.  If you aren't a regular canyon carver (or
any super twisty road) and you use your bike for lots of commuting, and
have occasion to enjoy the curves now and then, I would suggest the
michelin macadam 100x.  They have a hard center and softer sides.  This
tire is ideal for the rider who uses the bike year round; commuting to
work, going to the store, and every now and then going for a fun little
jaunt into a curvy road.  These tires aren't sticky like the BT01s on
Dunlop 207s.   You probably wouldn't want to take them to a track day.
 The construction lends them very well to the rider who rides 2000-3000
miles a month.  They will probably give you at least 10 000 miles.  On
one of my other bikes (a TDM 850 with 120 000 miles --all mine) I have
tried all sorts of tires, and settled on the macadams or the T66/sirac
(good for dirt/ fire roads).  Pavement eats up the T66s, but they are
sooooo much fun on dirt roads.  The macadams are usually good for 3 - 4
months of my riding.

- --chuck
02 st