[ST] All are Well!

Hey everyone,

Good news,

Ruth got her staples out Friday and is recovering from a planned surgery
nicely!

Frank (our cat) got his staples out Saturday from an unplanned surgery and
is recovering nicely!  Tinsel and pets do not mix.

My ST started today after 2 months of silence!  Music in my ears.  Too late
to put all the body work back on for a test ride, but sure sounds good.

I was 250 miles into a SS1000 when the #1 plug stripped out the head taking
out the coil at the same time.  Being without a Triumph dealer and the extra
cash, I decided to attempt the job myself.  So, with the Triumph shop
manual, I dug in.  I tend to take my time with new things and I took the
bike apart first, took the head to a local machine shop to see if it was
fixable (it was), ordered the parts I needed (head gasket kit $180.00, coil
$130.00 and chain rubbing strips $100.00), then yesterday and today, put the
bike back together.  A mechanic who knows what he's doing would probably
have this done in 8 to 10 hours, but I had it done in a mere 30 hours or so
overall.  I also had a local Honda mechanic (friend, works for beer and
food) there to make sure I put the cams back in right.

Moment of truth, switched on the ignition, thumbed the starter and after
coughing and farting for a few dozen revolutions, it fired right up,
belching out enough smoke to cause new worries of forest fires.  After a few
'reboots', the computer finally woke up and did its job.  Engine runs
smoothly, no loud, very wrong noises, and that wonderful triple sound that
we all know and love to hear.

Of course, there's a big storm coming through tonight, so riding it will
likely have to wait a few days, but I will have all the body work back on
and be waiting for the snow to clear.

Thanks to all who replied to my questions over the last couple of months.
By the way, I did not remove and reinstall the cylinder liners like the
manual demands.  Just couldn't see the need for it.  I did find out that it
is not necessary to have the expensive Triumph tool to remove the liners
though, if someone needs to get them out.  After 43,000 miles, there is no
discernable wear on any of the valve train or the upper piston liners.  This
is with 6000 mile oil changes using the Mobil 1 synthetic.  Very little
carbon buildup using midgrade fuels either.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Dan Wallander
Albuquerque, NM
'99 ST