[ST] Steering head bearings...

I think it is about time to check and possibly adjust my steering head
bearings, as the steering is getting a bit sort of vague and the bike feels
slightly unstable at higher speeds even in a straight line.  This seems a
bit early at 18k miles, though.

This is a job I've never had to do before, so although I have the Triumph
manual, I'd appreciate any tips or pointers from anyone who has done this
(preferably to a Sprint).

I found this, which makes an interesting point...

"[Editor's note: A book on motorcycle electrics contends that the major
cause of steering head bearing pitting is poor grounding. Since the only
connection between the headlamp and controls (headlamp switch, horn, turn
signals, etc.) and the rest of the bike is the steering head bearings, all
the electricity flows back to earth (ground) through the greasy bearings
causing spark erosion between the bearings and their races. This can be
solved with a grounding strap. A grounding strap is simply a piece of wire
that runs from the forks to the frame. Use flexible wire with plenty of
slack for lock-to-lock movement of the fork routed so it won't get pinched.
There are plenty of bolts on the triple clamps to tap into.]"

Alex

End of st-digest V2002 #727