RE: [ST] Re: st-digest V2002 #727

Thanks, Charles.  I really like the looks of the Ed Bargy school.

When I get a chance I'll try to collect some basic info about each of the
schools and post.  Until then, I'll submit a short note about why I think
the track is good for non-racers.

I really, really believe taking several laps around the same curves with an
instructor behind you discussing setup, where you apexed, how much you can
still lean, how you set up right/wrong, etc. can add immeasurably to street
riding skills (and possibly even dilute the desire for street hooliganism,
might make it worse :).  It's not about how fast a lap you can turn, though
that would be part of finding the envelope; it's about advancing the skill
set.

The track is simply the safest place to do this.  You don't have to worry
about pebbles or leaves stretched across turns 6, 24, 96, and 194 (or was
it 195?) or some semi blocking both lanes somewhere along the Dragon's
Tail.  At the track, if you low side you (hopefully) just slide off a
somewhat flat track into the grass, dirt, or pebbles and not into a car,
tree, or off a cliff.  If you high side, well, there will be an ambulance
right there with people who know how to take care of you.

As a side note, I test rode a Triumph Speed Triple last week, and it
seriously surprised me with its power (much as it tried, I wouldn't let it
get over 6500rpm, AND I cut my test drive short!).  Shoot, maybe I'll not
go to a track after all, or when I do get there, I'll realize my mind will
try to cash checks the body just can't.  Still, sure is fun fantasizing
about it.  We'll see!

Thanks,
James
 '99 Wing (xforming into an ST or Kaw ZZR-1200)