RE: [ST]Open practice?

At 07:12 AM 12/31/02, Ken Mitchell wrote:
>Are things different at those tracks nearer to you? At NHIS (Loudon NH), the
>Friday open practice (on Fridays just before an LRRS race weekend), the open
>practice requires a racing license and of course, there's no formal
>instruction.

We're talking about 2 different things. On some WERA weekends -
particularly the Nationals weekends, these "open practice" days are WERA
practices (conducted by WERA). And for these, the requirement is that you
must be a licensed racer. On other weekends Ed Bargy Racing School conducts
these practices (typically on fridays). These are separate from any WERA
function. For these, if you want to do the open practice you either need to
be a licensed racer (WERA, CCS, AMA, etc.) - OR - have been a graduate of
Ed's school. Even for those who have no interest in pursuing racing as a
career or avocation (i.e. just want to do some track riding) taking Ed's
school makes this pretty cheap, valuable track time (typically $75 - $100 a
day). You will be on track with racers (which can be intimidating). But
this is an excellent way of getting some informal instuction (following
racers around the track).

>I certainly don't expect anyone to ride or cart their bike 7 hours to this
>track day. (But it *would* be nice to see you!) Charlie, you could show us a
>thing or two with that TZ. My good friend Tony Iannarelli (a member of the
>TZ250.com site) won his LWGT class this year. He is my resource for this
>track day, and payments will be going to him.

Would be fun. But it would take longer than 7 hours to get to NH from
Atlanta. And the tech crash has put a crimp in my racing/track time
(employment being a distant memory). But I know Tony (250GP community tends
to be small/close-knit). He knows what he's doing. Just don't expect to
keep him in sight in the corners should he be on his TZ. And be prepared to
be embarrassed. It's always fun to see the look on "fast" street riders
faces when they on their Yam/Suz/Hon/Triumph/Duc repliracers have been
humbled by someone on a HawkGT on a track, LOL!

Charlie McCullough
tz250 WERA#90 Ex
Duc 748
Triumph ST