[ST] Re: st-digest V2002 #73

4)  Stay on the backroads.  It's much more fun, and safer out there. :]

Not really. The backroads include all the hazards known in one place. City
streets are far more dangerous than freeways. They both include many
opportunities for left turners, stop sign and red light runners, crap in the
roads, lane changing, drivers on the wrong side of the road, etc. I have
known far more people that got hurt, including myself, or killed on the
streets and back roads, than on the freeways. And it has been proven, in the
Hurt Report, that lane splitting is safer than following traffic.
As far as HOV lanes go, you may need to temper yourself as far as speed goes
when the next lane is stopped. Personally, I'm not very good at that!
Bare