RE: [ST] Close Call/Fast Freddie

Forrest C. wrote:
>(I have seen someone covering their front
>brake lock up the wheel.. Not good.)

Just a quick comment on this, since I got back from Freddie's school the
other day.  I had made the "grab a handful" mistake before, as I'm sure
many of us have, not only in panic situations, but also when a corner has
snuck up on me.  Grabbing a handful, as Forrest mentioned, is the worst
thing you can do.

What David mentioned and what Freddie teaches is to "pre-load" the front
brake with 10% braking pressure, let the front end settle, and then apply
as much brake as necessary.  Easier said than done, sure, but with
practice, it makes a huge difference.  This process can be quick, and
there's a distinct difference between quickly grabbing a handful and
quickly pre-loading and then braking.  If you're going to practice this
weekend, give it a try (and if you're going to practice this weekend, then
you're in a warmer climate than me, so I better keep those comments to
myself). :-)

BTW - Fast Freddie's class was outstanding, and I highly recommend it.  Not
only was it incredibly fun, but with the lessons taught in the class, the
individual critiques I received from Freddie and his highly skilled
instructors (that's putting it mildly), and the time spent following Jeff
Haney around the track, I have never felt more comfortable riding a
motorcycle.  Not only did I get faster and more confident over three days,
I honestly feel that I was also riding with more control and a bigger
safety margin.

Someone was asking about schools using high-speed accident avoidance
drills, and yes, Freddie's school does do a little of that.  Learning to
trail-brake with the front brake lever is reason alone to attend.  It's
amazing to be able to steer the motorcycle while applying the brakes, and
feel confident in doing so.

Anyway, I have more info and pictures on my page if anyone is interested.
The link is in my .sig.  Go to Rides and Events, and click on Fast Freddie
Spencer's School.

Tad Gralewski   tad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
01 Triumph Sprint ST - Allison
95 ST1100 - STress-Reliever  STOC #1539
77 GS750 - The Blue Dolphin
93 CBR1000F - The Black Whale - R.I.P. (rebuild in progress)
http://tad.gralewski.com
The best things in life that you find are
those things you never went looking for. - RTG