RE: [ST] Radar Detector Reviews

From: rex vaughn
I thought it might be interesting for anyone planning to purchase a new
detector to read the information on this site.  Both the Bel and the Escort
did better than the Valentine One.  This site seems to be one of the better
ones out there.  I recently purchased a 8500 escort and I can easily say it
is the best detector I have ever used.

http://www.radartest.com/
http://www.speedzones.com/

Good site, that second one. The radartest one is suspect, if you were to
read the Valentine response to it. Their response is on their site. As for
the 8500, it does seem to be either that or the V1. I have a friend who
bought both (deep pockets, apparently), and ran both side by side in his car
before choosing the Escort. He said it consistently gave warning before the
V1, and gave fewer false alerts.

Me, I chose the V1 for different reasons. Out on a bike, the V1 has
significantly better build quality. I admit to dropping mine twice now, with
no ill effects. Another friend dropped his 8500 once and had to buy a new
one. OK, so the rule is: don't drop your detector. The other feature is
weather protection. I have two other friends that keep their V1's
permanently mounted on their bikes. One is an Iron Butt Rally rider, the
other rides his Suzuki SV650 in everything including snow (lives in the
White Mountains of NH). Neither has ever had failure from moisture
intrusion. I've been drenched pretty good too, and never seen my V1 blink.

The test on speedzones.com mentions the uselessness of side detection. I
love having it on my V1, and find it VERY useful. Of course the LEO's cannot
check my speed from the bushes, but the V1 does tell me they are there and
will pull out behind me if I go by too fast. The the V1 tells me if they DID
pull out and are following me with radar on.

I have a few friends who use the Bel 980iM, and complain that it doesn't
work as well as others, perhaps because their AA batteries die too often.

Yes, the Escort 8500 is the best choice based on performance and value. But
I have ZERO regrets about my V1.

Ken M.
2000 RS