[ST] Radar detectors

I've gotta throw out my $.02 on the radar detector questions.  I have two
Bel 870's (one in my car, and the other on in the wifes car) and I picked
them up for $75.00 each.  I can't say that I have compared them back to
back with the likes of a V1 or Escort8500, but I can say that the Bel works
very well with sufficient warning time with every LEO I have encountered
(even the time I was tagged by laser).

The important thing with any radar detector is to learn its limitations and
what it can and can't tell you.  Don't expect to get away with going 40mph
over.  When looking at test data and pricing for detectors, one thing you
need to consider is how fast you are planning on going.  For 10-15mph over,
any radar detector should be sufficient.  If you are planning on doing
20-25mph over then maybe the better range of the V1 is necessary.  However,
are the roads you will be travaelling even safe at 25mph over?  Another
factor is the type of roads you are travelling on.  A cheap detector will
let you get away with 20mph over on the slab, but maybe only 10mph over in
the twisties.

The bottom line is that any detector is better than not using one at all
(unless you are on of the poor souls that live where they're illegal).  No
detector will protect you from every possible encounter, and if the cheaper
detectors will work for say 85% of the possible encounters, what are you
willing to pay to pick up the remaining percentage points?  With the cost
of one Bel, I would need to get ticketed three times to approach the cost
of the V1 ($75-100 a ticket here in MN).  Since purchasing  the detectors a
year ago, neither my wife or I have been ticketed and we have traveled
80,000 combined miles between us.  Personally, I can think of things for
the Triumph I would rather spend the extra money on.

Whichever detector you purchase, I would suggest that you drive around at
legal speeds for a while to get used to the different warnings, both false
and real.

Sorry if my $.02 turned into $1.40

Nick
'00 Yellow RS