Re: [ST] Sprocket change vs. speedo accuracy

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 03:30:15AM -0500, William Sanders wrote:
> Hello All,
>  Recently changed from a 19t to a 17t countershaft sprocket. Am very pleased
> with results for around town riding. Haven't had time to put on any highway
> miles to decide if I like it at constant 60-70mph.. I recall discussions in
> the past on the list regarding how a sprocket change (# of teeth), might
> affect speedometer accuracy, but don't recall the gist of  the discussion.
> I've done a search of the archives,but can't find any info on this topic.
>
> If my limited recall is right, the ST's speedo drive is not taken from the
> front wheel, but from some source in the transmission or final drive, and
> thus it's accuracy would be affected by a final drive gearing change. If
> this is correct, is there a way for me to correct it or compensate for it?
> Will appreciate any responses.

It is taken off the front wheel.  It's mentioned in the FAQ under the
maintenance/tire removal section.

Also, everything I've ever heard states that you can't correct or adjust
the speedometer, other than by getting a Sigma bicycle computer or GPS.

Laters,
Brian
- --
'99 ST (black)