re: [ST] fuel connector leak question

>Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 00:37:13 -0600
>From: brian <brd@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: [ST] fuel connector leak question

>From what my schnozz is telling me, one of the
quick-connectors there (see my 2 pictures I'm uploading) is the culprit.

>I've heard of an o-ring in a connector getting torn and leaking, but I'm
>not sure it's actually leaking at the quick-connection.  There's a stain
>where the base of the connector screws into the brass plate on the side
>of the tank.  I'm wondering if there's an o-ring inside there too, or if
>anyone's seen that piece leak? ...

Yes, sort of.

>And if I decide to try and pull that base piece out of the brass plate,
>is fuel going to come pouring out of the tank?

In all probability, unless you can depressurize the system.

>Oh, I did run the bike with the bodywork off it, but didn't see any fuel
>seepage or leaks at that spot, but the odor seemed to get stronger.

Brian, get the bike down to a dealer ASAP or otherwise fix/repair it.  Because the fuel system is pressurized, this failure will get worse.  I know this, because I had it happen to me.  Just a slight smell of gasoline.  1,500 miles later, I was out of gas at 120 miles after filling up, in the bustling metropolis of Koosheram, Utah, on a Sunday...

I managed to get some gas, thanks to a fine gent there in Koosheram (the gas stations weren't open on Sunday), and made it 50 miles to Scipio, using the entire contents of the tank.  Actually, most of the contents of the tank were busy spraying out and down the side of the bike.  Watching the fuel FLOW down the frame at the Chevron in Scipio, I decided I didn't want to do a "Johnny the Triumph Torch" impression.  Things went downhill from there... but that's ANOTHER story. :-(

The shop where I had it fixed figured that the previous folks to work on it (a week and 1,500+ miles before) had inadvertently tweaked/goobered the reconnection.  The HARD riding that I did subsequently (including about 40 miles on a dirt road in New Mexico) probably hadn't helped much.

Grace and peace,

John Sanford, "BikerDawg"
00' RS - Atomic Orange

- --