same model names(Re: [ST] RE: answers to quiz)

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 02:21:09AM -0500, MCH & Little Salem wrote:
> Pontiac still manufactures the Bonneville.  I believe the Triumph Daytona
> was introduced into the US when the Dodge Daytona was still on some dealers'
> lots.  Anyway, discontinuing a model is irrelevant because the license for
> the name can be renewed until the model is resurrected.  Like the Ford
> Thunderbird.  As with the practical application of psychological research,
> it's a risky business to make assumptions about the proprietary nature of
> trademarks.
>
> Smitty
>
> -------------- Original message From: Robert Smith <robert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > snip
> > Grand Prix probably belongs to GM (Pontiac Divn.)
> > Trailblazer - now belongs to some SUV, doesn't it?
> > \snip

Interesting point you make about Triumph already using trademarked
names.  How did they get away with that?  Did they have the Bonneville
name first?  I don't know when Triumph started making them.

Or is it the case that the US carmakers have US trademarks on the names,
but since Triumph is a British company it thumbs its nose at them and
calls them whatever it wants?  I remember reading a (possibly) similar
thing about current Indian motorcycles.  It seems the company producing
Harley clones in the US and badging them as Indians has the US rights to
the name, but there's also a company in Scotland, I believe, that is
making a more "true to its heritage" bike and calling it an Indian, as
well.

Personally, I couldn't care less what Triumph calls their new croozer.
If they really want to appeal to the American consumer maybe "Bonneville
SuperSize".

Laters,
Brian