Re: same model names(Re: [ST] RE: answers to quiz)

- -----Original Message-----
From: brian <brd@xxxxxxx>
Subject: same model names(Re: [ST] RE: answers to quiz)

>Interesting point you make about Triumph already using trademarked
>names.  How did they get away with that?  Did they have the Bonneville
>name first?  I don't know when Triumph started making them.
>
>Or is it the case that the US carmakers have US trademarks on the names,
>but since Triumph is a British company it thumbs its nose at them and
>calls them whatever it wants?

It's not (legal grey area) trademark infringement when the name denotes two
unrelated items that are not likely to be confused in the general publics
mind.

Microsoft naming their OS "Windows" doesn't preclude someone like Proctor &
Gamble from using the same name to describe their window cleaning products.

Bonneville 'prolly falls into this area. I'm sure if Pontiac thought that
there was a possibility that the public might be misled into believing that
Triumph makes a competing automobile (or automotive product), the legal
sparks would fly.

Interestingly, there are some company's products that you would think _are_
registered/copyrighted - but aren't. It's just that their legal resources
are large enough to dissuade others from using the word or phrase in
question......I've personal experience with a certain Seattle area software
company over this.......

Charlie McCullough
'99 Triumph ST