Re: [ST] Stupid Question #2

At 03:11 PM 17/02/02 -0800, Marc Danziger wrote:

>That brings us to the present. Now I'm sitting down with the heated (but
>not heating) grips, and trying to troubleshoot those.

Hi Marc,

When my heated grips stopped working, it turned out it was the relay. I
pulled it apart and the contacts were burnt and pitted. I think it had got
moisture in there. I cleaned and dressed the points and mounted the relay
with the terminals down for better drainage. Haven't had any trouble since.

BTW, the contact points in the relay are closed all the time the ignition
is on regardless of whether the grips are switched on. No idea why.

>I have three wires going to the switch...a blue one, tan, and brown. The
>factory switch appears to be a simple on/off/on rocker. The blue wire is
>at +12 volts...so it should go in the middle, no??

The switch wiring is confusing. It's a three-way, single-pole rocker with
two on positions, one for the "start" setting, and one for the "on"
setting. The idea is you get more power in the start position to get the
grips up to temp, then switch to "on." I can't remember where the blue wire
went. I didn't want to cut a big hole in my fairing, so I bought an
aftermarket three-position pull-on lighting switch and used that. It
required just a 1/4" hole drilled in the dashboard. Only drawback is it's
not illuminated. I can live with that.

Hope this helps...

Robert "Sheep Dawg" Smith
'00 ST Sapphire