RE: [ST] Oil consumption

Steve,

I was careful to include the oil in the filter before measuring the used
oil. So, yes...there was a total of 1 3/4 quarts of used oil from my bike. I
called my dealer who said that up to a quart can be trapped inside the
engine and not to worry about it. Opinions on this gladly accepted. Sounds a
bit dubious to me.

This brought up the next question: Assuming that a quart WAS left in the
engine after draining, there are now 5 quarts seeing how I poured in 4 as
part of the oil change. Dealer said that if there is extra oil, it will burp
into the airbox and harmlessly drain out the bottom. Opinions this also
glady accepted as it sounds equally as dubious.

There were no oil leaks before the change. I say "before" because now there
is. Seems that I left the little copper crush washer in the driveway where
it will do little good. <slap palm to forehead> I'll try a little
quicko-chango this weekend and see if I can put the washer on without losing
too much oil. But then, that wouldn't be too bad if there really is 5 quarts
in there...

How are rings tested? Compression? I'll take the tank off and look at the
airbox. The bike has only 16K miles on it and has been dealer serviced.
You'd think that any oil in the box would have been noticed at the 12K
service.

- -Chris "Snow Dawg" Strizver