Re: [ST] Oil consumption

Hi there STers

My name is Burt Barrett, I live in Bakersfield, Ca, and am the proud owner
of a 99 Sprint ST, which I bought in 99, with 72 miles on it.  It now has
18K on the speedo.  I have had all the services done, however I change the
oil at 3K instead of 6K.  I use the Triumph Mobil 1 4T Race oil.  Pricy.
and use the Triumph filter.
Since I have had this motorcycle it has never used much oil.  I was told to
put it on the center stand on fairly level ground to check the sight glass.
Never fails me.
Check the oil sight glass just after changing the oil & filter.  I will bet
it will read just fine.  My Sprint, "Big Red", shows a full sight glass,
with just a small clear area near the top of the sight glass.  It still
shows full-exactly the same-when it has 3K on the oil change.
I would not worry about having too much oil in the motor, after changing the
oil and filter, and viewing the sight glass, provided you can see a very
small clear area at the top.  It HAS to be full-not overfull-at this point.
After you ride it till its warm, when you try to check the sight glass, it
takes several minutes to return to the previously observed level in the
sight glass.  It wont run right back down in just a couple of seconds.
I think the Triumph Sprint ST is the Best Motorcycle in the World!  Im no
newcomer to the sport either, Im 57 years old, and have only bought two
brand new motorcycles in my lifetime, and both of them were Triumphs.  The
first was in 1971.  Been riding Triumphs since 1958.

Regards

Burt Barrett &
Big Red