[ST] RE: Rear shocks for ST

Rich,

Just to second Erik's comments...  I did both the Ohlins and the Racetech
for the forks.  Of the two, the Racetechs are the bigger improvement - just
wish I'd known about those people several bikes ago!

I bought the Ohlins from the Dutch site (see Erik's post for the exact site)
and paid about $575 or so, roughly 18 months ago.  Be careful about spring
rates - they asked me my body weight (full battle dress) did I carry a
passenger etc etc, and ended up with a spring that is a little harder than I
would have really liked.  It works perfectly if I run it at very low
pre-load, but I'd have preferred the slightly softer spring in the first
place.  If I wasn't so damn lazy, I could change it of course, but...

This is purely subjective (obviously) but if the front suspension of the
stock bike was say 75% perfect, the Racetech mod brings it up to 95%.  If
the rear was 75% perfect w/stock shock, the Ohlins brings it up to 85%.

If I was doing it all over again, I'd definitely go for the Racetech
immediately and wait a while before going for the Ohlins.  The Racetech
change makes a HUGE difference, while the Ohlins is an improvement, if you
follow the difference.  Considering that the Ohlins is about 7% of the total
bike cost, I was expecting something truly wonderful, walk-on-water good,
and was just a little disappointed.  On top of that, $1100 is a stupid
price, IMHO.

Alex

> When asking my dealer about a fully-adjustable rear shock, he was more
than
> happy to recommend the Ohlins, at US$ 1100

<snip>