[ST] RE: synchronizing throttle bodies

Keith,
The effectiveness of synching the throttle bodies depends on how far off
they are to begin with.  I first adjusted mine at about 7,500 miles and the
largest spread was 20mm of mercury.  The bike ran noticeably smoother, but
no perceived gains in power.

As for cross checking results, a digital manometer will not provide more
accurate results than a mercury unit, it is just environmentally
friendlier.  There are no electrical connections involved with the testing,
it is all just vacuum.  Look at it as the difference between an analog and
digital speedometer.  Digital might be easier to read, but analog responds
faster.  Either one is more than accurate enough for the task.  The
variation between cylinders should be less than 10mm of mercury, but you
should have no problem getting it to less than 5mm with either unit.

All you are doing is equalizing how much air each cylinder can suck at a
given throttle opening.  Since the cylinder vacuum is a pulse, the mercury
will bounce to some degree in the tubes.  You will need to eyeball the
levels and adjust each cylinder to what appears to be the average
height.  It is not an exact adjustment that can be calibrated to an
infinite degree of certainty.  "Pretty darn close" is more than good enough.

Hope this helps,
Nick
'00 yellow RS