[ST] rear brake

I replaced the rear (stock-type) brake pads the other day (3rd set in 14,000
miles on my 1999 ST), and noted that the inner (fixed) pad was warn
unevenly-the outer edge of the pad was warn down past the wear-groove, and on
the inner edge there was about 2 mm thickness of groove remaining. This
suggested to me that the hook-like stabilizing arm  on the pad that fits over
a rod on the caliper most have been binding on the rod, and holding the pad
at an angle, ie preventing it from seating correctly. I noted when fitting
the new (Galfer) pad that this seemed to happen-hard to seat the pad in its
recess because of binding by the stabilizing arm on the rod, but think I got
it seated all right. Any one else run into this? I wondered if I should have
taken a rat-tail file or Dreml to the hole  in the stabilizing armto enlarge
it a little.
The Galfer seems nice and hard and scratchy, with all the sintered metal in
it, but haven't given it a good trial yet.  Dave Collins, San Diego