RE: [ST] oil level

Guys and girls I think things are getting a little bit out of proportion
here.

> Boy, I'd be really leery about using the site glass as a
> guide to putting the correct volume of oil in your bike.
> You say the site glass should be checked with the bike
> upright on its tires on level ground--not on the centerstand.
> How accurate can this be? How can you tell if it's level?
> You'd get a different reading every time. As far as I can tell,
> the bike is essentially level when on the centerstand.
> As such, the site glass SHOULD work with the bike
> on the centerstand, but it doesn't.

Surely the key thing is that the oil level is somewhere between the min and
max marks on the sight glass.  Whether the bike is absolutely perfectly
level or not doesn't really matter.  I've checked my oil on the main stand
and when the bike is upright on it's wheels and I get pretty much the same
reading.

Surely the important thing is that there isn't too much or too little oil in
the engine.  As long as the reading is somewhere in between those two I
couldn't care less whether it's 3.6 or 3.8 litres or whatever.

HTH

Andy