[ST] best chain?.. and now lubes and cleaners!!!

Eric,

As Ronald Reagan once said, "There you go again."  Starting something else
around chain lube.

But you did bring up a point that I'd like to get some input on.

The mechanic at my shop told me that all my chain really needs to keep it
clean is WD40.  He went on to say that's because all the lube that the chain
really needs is on the inside, kept in there by the O-rings.  And that
adding chain lube to what is essentially the outside of the O-rings will
only cause it to attract and build-up dirt.  That's the first time I've ever
heard that.  I've always lubed the chain on my bikes whether they were dirt
or street, with standard or O-ring chains.

So, what he told me goes against everything I've done with regard to lubing
chains.

What do all you folks think?

Rich Marcus
'01 Sapphire Blue ST