[ST] ? Checking Oil

>"Sheep Dawg" Smith said: "Don't forget that the oil level should be >checked with the bike upright on its wheels on level ground, not on the >center stand."

Pardon moi, but how in the deuces are you going to keep the bike upright on level ground, not on the center stand, and check the oil?  Doesn't seem to make any sense to me, especially if you're supposed to go through this contortion every day.  Am I missing something obvious about how to balance a bike, or is this No Centerstand concept off the mark?
- --