[ST] K & N Filter requires a new tune?

I had my bike (2000 ST) in for 6K service a couple of weeks ago. Standard 6K
service things were done. I had them install a K & N air filter. Nothing on
the paperwork says anything about any change in the tune that was originally
loaded into the computer. But now I have a definate flat spot just off idle.
This bike used to pull away from a complete stop in 1st gear with no bogging
or excessive reving. Now I have killed the engine several times pulling away
from a stop. I need to rev it to 2.5 to 3K to pull away. It seems to have
this flat spot at 1.5 to 2.5 K. I have also noticed a small amout of surging
at low speeds that wasn't there before. The bike runs strong and does not
miss or surge at higher RPMs.

So my question is does changing the air filter to a K & N require a new tune
to be loaded?
Al