[ST] Also Riding & Warning for Houston Area Riders

Well, Richard & I have been going in circles for months now, but we've
finally gotten to go on two rides in the last month--both from Houston to
Round Top to meet his sister (from Austin).  The first ride was on a really
cold Sunday, but it felt great to be on the bikes!!  The second was today,
and we went there and back by some great twisties, including La Bahia Road.
The high today was in the mid-70s -- perfect!! We did have to lose the
jacket liner and long underwear along the way, but that's not a high price
to pay for such beautiful weather.  Had lunch both times at a small
restaurant called Royers Round Top Cafe, which has excellent food,
especially their Shrimp BLT appetizer, which we tried for the first time
today.  We saw only a few bikes out a few weeks ago on the very cold Sunday,
but they were everywhere today!!  This really is the best time for riding
down here in Texas.

Each ride was between 220-250 miles.  We need to do this more often.  We
tend to return home relaxed and refreshed . . . . and wanting more . . . . .

BTW, for those of you who ride in the Houston area, we saw construction
signs going up on the best part of 1488.  If you are on 1488 heading west,
the curves start after you pass the intersection of 1488 and 362.  There are
only two curves before you hit the construction signs.  All of the rest are
in the construction zone!  Signs said that there would be alternate lane
closures from 3/1 to 11/30!!  Looks like one of our best roads for 40 mph
curves will be out of commission for that time!!  For those of you not
familiar with this area, in the winter, with all the foliage dead, these
curves are nice, smooth, and visible from one side to the other--not like
some others in the area.  Still, think of the new surface we'll get to ride
on once they're finished . . . .

Lisa
'99 Red ST

End of st-digest V2002 #114