Re: [ST] Breaking in

- -----Original Message-----
From: Philip Las Gourgues <philbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
.Subject: [ST] Breaking in

>http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
>
>I'm not sure where I got this link from (this list maybe?) but I was just
>wondering whether people thought what this guy is claiming is right. Seems
>to make sense but it goes against the grain to thrash your new toy that
>hard. Can anyone think a of a good argument against doing what he says?

I agree with him (except with the _no Synthetic oil_ bit) but for completely
different reasons. I think the "ring seal" arguement is bogus from a
break-in standpoint. Yes, combustion pressures exerted on the rings are what
"seal" the cylinders but I disagree that this is something that has to be
broken in at higher RPM's - or needs an extended run-in time with Dino oil.

Rings just don't take a long time to seal or seat. If they did, my TZ250
would never work correctly. New rings every 150 miles, new pistons every 300
mi (and the truly serious racers/mechanics will change rings between each
track session!!).

The real point to it (IMHO) is getting heat cycles in it. Break-in is
primarily a matter of relieving stresses induced by casting process. Heat
cycle it 3-4 times at low to mid RPM's to relieve stresses, another cycle at
mid/high RPM's, drain oil (primarily to check for any metal that indicates
you didn't put it together correctly) and you're good to go.

Break in all my bikes this way. Street bikes, race bikes, etc. No mechanical
failures ever experienced that could be traced to improper break-in procs.
Whether it was a motor I bought (street bikes) or a motor I built (race
bikes).

Charlie McCullough
'99 Triumph ST