Re: [ST] steve in ohio

- --- Jim-Karl_Gagné <jim.jay@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Steve in Ohio.
>
> hi steve could you give some good roads in ohio, im
> going in the
> southeastern part in late may 02.
>
> i know about 555 and 26, but thats it.     8^)

Well, I'm sure Steve knows of some good roads in the
area, but I figured I'd throw some in there too (I
grew up in south-central Ohio).

I've got a book of county maps for Ohio, can't find an
ISBN#, but the publisher is:

County Maps
Puetz Place
N2454 Co. Rd. HH
Lyndon Station, WI 53944
USA

Phone is (whatever US country code is) 608-666-3331.

With that out of the way, I'll list some of my
recommendations.

SR's 327 and 180 through Tar Hollow State Park, which
you can pick up from US 50 or SR 56 respectively.
These roads are in Picaway, Ross, Vinton and Hocking
counties.  50 and 56 dont have much to offer as far as
twisties, but there can be some good scenery.  180 has
a few spots where the view is fabulous (which I find
amazing since I grew up just a few minutes away).

In Ross, Vinton and Jackson counties there's a small
road called West Junction.  In a small town (at the
intersection of 327 and 50) you'd get on Vigo Rd
(pronounced v-eye-go) and take that to West Junction.
You can take that to either US35 and slab it for a few
(very short) miles to pick up some other back roads or
turn around ;).

Alternately you could forgo West Junction and head to
Musgrove Rd and take that through to US35.

Then just off of US35 outside of a little village
called Richmond Dale, there's Watson Rd and Whiskey
Run (guess how it got its name).  I've not ridden
these in some time, but they can be fun.

Most of these are NOT highways, but last time I was on
them (this past fall) they were in very good shape and
fun as hell to ride.

You know, now that I started going on this issue I
want to go riding now, and it's snowing.  If you want
I can scan my county maps and highlight some roads for
you, or if you dont mind looking me up when you get to
Ohio, I'd feel honored to show you around my old
stomping grounds of southern and southeastern
Ohio...especially if you have an afternoon or a whole
day to commit to seeing the country side.