Re: [ST] Tire question

Mitchell Miglis wrote:

> 1) I read the BT57 is no longer manufactured and has been replaced by the
> BT010. True?

True.

> Should I go with the 010 on the rear? (There is also a BT 020
> with more emphasis on the "touring" aspect--any feedback on it? I wouldn't
> mind the added
> mileage if handing not too compromised).

You could probably get away with either tire (010 or 020) on the rear,
while retaining the OEM BT57 on the front. Handling might not be exactly
what Bridgestone intended, but I doubt it'll be far off. It's somewhat
common for folks to run a softer compound tire on the front (say an 010)
to provide good feedback, and a slightly harder compound on the rear
(say an 020) to provide better mileage.

However, if you're interested in trying other brands of tires in the
near future, I'd go for an 010 at the rear, which will probably wear out
at about the same time as your BT57 front. (You don't want to mix and
match brands!)

> 2) When it's time to replace both front and rear tires together, what is the
> consensus? Stay with Battlax or perhaps Avons or Dunlap.

Some folks stay with the Bridgestones, but many (including myself) seem
to prefer other brands. I really like the Michelin Pilot Sports, but
you'll find many who sing the virtues of Dunlop D207s, Pirelli Dragon
GTSes, and Avon Azzaro IIs. (Is anyone running Metzlers?) I think that
all these tires are probably great tires, and you just need to
experiment to find one whose performance and wear characteristics meet
your personal preferences.
- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff
Burlingame, CA  USA