Re: [ST] Passenger Comfort

In your message regarding [ST] Passenger Comfort dated Wed, 02 Jan 2002
20:08:32 -0500, "Sharon & Marc Lacroix" <sml1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said that ...

> I Would like to hear from anyone who drives around often with a passenger to
>  see how the RS feels with two occupants

Can't speak for the RS but on the ST with an inexperienced passenger (my
wife, who first rode pillion 1 year ago) I can make the following
observations.

Rider control.

1.  The fact that someone is sitting behind you tends to impede rider
movement in the saddle (I tend to move about quite a bit just changing my
position for comfort rather than hanging off the side when cornering)
therefore rider fatigue is increased slightly by this.

2.  Pillion movement at slow speed or when cornering or when coming to a
stop or starting off can be a bit disconcerting.  Make sure the pillion
knows they have to ask your permission before wriggling their bum around on
the seat.

3.  Generally a well-briefed pillion is almost unnoticeable, other than
point 1, when riding normally.  Hard braking is best avoided though unless
you like taking the weight of your pillion on your wrists as well as your
own body weight.

Pillion comfort.

1.  Seat to footpeg distance for the pillion is smaller than the rider's so
be aware that hip and knee discomfort can set in earlier than for you.  I
stretched a point with my wife and required 350 miles in a day - I think
her sense of humour failed at about the 300 mark (mind you it was in
dreadful weather - monsoon rain and 30mph cross-winds).  100 miles or 2
hours is a good point to take a ten minute stretch.

2.  Communication - an intercom is essential for touring.

3.  Security - With panniers and top-box c/w seat back gave my wife a
greater sense of security - so much so she fell asleep whilst we were
'slabbing it' down the N11 in France at > 70mph.  I also wear a 'pillion
pal' belt which has grab handles - the preferred arrangement for her is one
hand on the belt and one on the pannier handle.

4.  Luggage space - if your pillion is female be aware of the vastly
increased luggage cubic capacity required ;-)

HTH

- --
Mike Bostock
mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx