Re: [ST] Frozen Rubber

- -----Original Message-----
From: Bailey, Doug <DBailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ST] Frozen Rubber

>Now considering tires.  Being a different rubber, heated by the friction,
>cooled by the cold and wind, and all the other factors, I highly doubt 35
is
>enough to cause loss of traction.  At 13 degrees I didn't start cutting
>twisties until I figured the tires warmed a bit.  Granted at these temps
>some think I've already lost my good sense but I think my good sense would
>kick in and tell me it's too cold to ride before I'd be worried about the
>temperature affecting the tires.

Temperature will affect tire traction. And there's no magic number above or
below which it has no effect. I've lost traction at 50F on tires designed
for an optimum temperature of 160F (race rubber). Was like riding on iron
wheels. And slippery. Common occurence on race bikes (which is why they use
tire warmers) and race in the summer. Same thing can happen on street
rubber.

Temp will always affect traction. Different compounds are affected
differently but you can count on traction becoming less as the temps drop. A
prudent rider will take this into account when getting on the throttle outta
corners (or braking into corners....)

Charlie McCullough
tz250 WERA #90
Lottsa Ducs