[ST] RE: st-digest V2002 #11

> Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 11:30:49 -0700
> From: David Earl <dlearl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [ST] Tire Circumference
>
> I have a favor to ask. Could you folks with relatively new tires,
> especially the OEM Bridgestones, measure and post the Circumference of
> the tires at factory recomended pressures?  I would like to compare how
> they relate to my D207s with regard to ride height.
> The reason I'm interested is that with the original tires,  front
> braking stood the bike up very little, and only once the rear was pretty
> worn in the center.  Then I fitted Metz Mac 100s which stood up a little
> more when new and was almost dangerous by the time the tires were ready
> to be replaced. On consulting with a race tuner about this, he suggested
> I raise the rear ride height.
> Now I have new D207RRs on and the symptom is gone completely (at least
> for now).
> So I want to compare some info based on a bit in the new "Sport Rider"
> to see if it sheds any light on the subject.
> TIA
> David
> '99ST

David,

Avon, for one, post their data on their website: http://www.avontyres.com -
Look under Motorcycle -> Products -> Sports Touring -> Azaro II AV35/36.

Not intending to be patronising:

circumference =      1        1000  [metres]
                ----------- *
                revs_per_km

OR

circumference = (static loaded radius) * 2 * pi

BTW, the answers are DIFFERENT, because the loaded radius of the tyre will
increase as speed increases.

Maybe its just me, but I've never heard of braking standing the front up -
'cept on leading link forks (or do you mean the tendency to right the bike
when you brake during a turn?). I don't have any facility to jack up the
rear (my Ohlins shock doesn't have a height adjuster) so I've dropped the
front by 5mm (i.e. pull-through = 5mm instead of zero).

Regards,
- --
BRG
email: keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx