Re: [ST] after 7 months, a bunch of stuff

Tyre profiles front-to-rear are weird science. I put the old BT56, as fitted
stock to Fireblades and suchlike, on my old VFR-750FL once and then
convinced myself by examination of the profile that I'd never be able to use
all the front because I'd run out of rear long before I ever got there and
crash. Indeed, the first time I took that bike on a track day I 'confirmed'
this theory to myself, having burred the rear up to the edge whilst still
leaving a nice wide chicken-strip on the front.

A couple of years or so later a club-racer mate of mine turned up at a
track-day I was at on his incredibly sexy Ducati 748R road-bike, with boring
old BT56 tyres mounted front and rear and exhibiting the same potential
problem, I assumed. Except that by the time he'd finished razzing (and he
was seriously flying) the Ducati round the track, the front tyre was
feathered right up to and beyond the edge, which defied all logic. The
tortured rubber was just over the edge of the front tyre, but at the rear it
was hanging right over the edge in big burrs all round, most impressively.
It seems that three factors were at work...

1. The tyre manufacturers know that if you are going to lose an end you want
it to be the rear, so that make sure you lean off the edge of the rear tyre
first.

2. The rear tyre is wider and deforms more under weight, cornering and
accelerative loads while you are cranked over so that whilst if it was cast
in ferro-concrete you'd be off the edge already, in fact it just squishes
out a bit.

3. My mate Nigel is a complete animal.

Fast forward another couple of years to me on the same track on my
BT010-shod TT600 this summer, after a couple of days of California Superbike
School, knee down cornering and WFO throttle action. Tyre profiles are
fairly similar to those of the old BT56, but this time by the end I'd
managed to mullah the front tyre right to the very edge on the right hand
side, and the rear was feathered past the edge. I've got a big digital
picture taken of me mid-corner on the only left-hander on the track (a
smaller version is on the front page of my website) with my knee hovering
above the surface, but a quick look at the tyre contact patches shows how
much the rear deforms mid-corner, and shows how such things happen.

Oh, and fitting an oversize rear to a rim simply results in the profile
being too tall which will, I'm led to believe, both knacker the handling and
result in a /smaller/ rear contact patch, less grip etc...

- - --

Ken Haylock - Sprint ST + TT600 - MAG Life Member #93160

                               _    _
                    .oooO     / )  ( \     Oooo.
                      \_)   .oooO  Oooo.   (_/