[ST] Arai phone/internet sales policy

Just a little FYI from something I picked up from a
local dealer...believe if you wish.

Arai's reasoning for their new policy was that they
got miffed at Chapparal (sp) and a few others for not
accepting exchanges for improperly fitted helmets.  I
think this somewhat violated Arai's policies and
indirectly tarnished their reputation.

This policy change seems as if it's punishment, of
sorts, for those places.  I was told that those places
had an oppurtunity to change their own policies but
refused.  I dont see why Arai doesnt just put those
places on a list of folks to not sell to rather than
screwing the other places that adhered to a good
customer service practices.

However, I can see this logic coming from Arai better
than protecting the local 'retail' dealers because
once the helmet is in a dealer's inventory, as far as
Arai is concerned, it's sold - they've made their
money off of it - and it's up to the dealer to do with
what they will.  Granted, if the dealer cant sell it,
then they wont buy new stock - it's a vicious cycle.

Although, this came from an individual who didnt seem
to understand why Arai would put a helmet
design/graphic in a catalog or on a web site before it
was available to them to put on the shelf, he said it
almost in those exact words.  That just seems odd to
me since most things are seen in a catalog before they
are available off of a shelf.

End of st-digest V2002 #18