Re: [ST] Garmin GPS lll plus

I just did a quick search on ebay and there are several of the GPS III+
for sale at around $180 and up, though none had the map cd's your
friend's has.  There's even a brand new GPS V for about $415. though I
don't know anything about that particular model.

I have the earlier GPS III (not the plus version) and it's really nice,
though I rarely use it.  I had it mounted on my bikes and my car for a
while, with and without laptop, and found that it was more of a nuisance
and a definate DANGER to use while driving.  It's just not the sort of
thing you can take a quick glance at and have much info permeate the
grey matter.   What I ended up doing was putting it out of view so that
I wouldn't be tempted to watch it while driving, if and when I got in
the situation where it was needed I'd pull over and look at it from a
safe position off the roadway.  For moment to moment directions using
mapping software it was horrible - it would announce changes sometimes
before the turn and sometimes after.  It got me horribly lost in
Indianapolis once trying to find my hotel - the map in the unit did NOT
match reality in any sense of the word.

A combination of GPS and a good map is a wonderful thing, but don't ever
try and rely on the gps alone - and I advise against using it while
riding a bike.  Others may be able but I can't safely do it, the same
goes for maps on my tankbag.   I study them ahead of time and if I
- -MUST- put a cheatsheat in the tankbag's map-pocket I make it as simple
and as large as possible so I can take a split second glance and get my
eyes back on the road.

I'm buying a new car this year and may get the gps navigation system
offered as an option, though more for the sheer pleasure of being a
gadget freak than for any real need.