RE: [ST] Garmin GPS V plus

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Mike Bostock wrote:

> In your message regarding RE: [ST] Garmin GPS V plus dated Tue, 15 Jan 2002
> 07:38:09 -0500, Brad Hancock said that ...
>
> >BH-  software is for outlying areas. It concentrates on urban areas. As such,
> >BH-  it is great for cities, but not so great for areas like Deals Gap. I
> >BH-  don't think they did much in the way of updating the coverage. There are
> >BH-  several roads in my area built in the last five years that are still not
> >BH-  covered.
>
> This, I must admit, is the major criticism I have of the software.  Some
> areas are very poorly covered such as the Spain Roads and Recreation CDROM
> yet it is the same price as the UK CDROM.  I asked Garmin a while back
> about the ability to import maps into MapSource and/or users being able to
> update the maps themselves and they said they were considering this.
> However, a more recent communication with them said:
>
> "Due to commercial and technical reasons, GARMIN has decided not to release
> any share/freeware software that will allow end-users to import custom maps
> into MapSource. We will release a professional version, however the license
> of this utility will be controlled and limited to GARMIN distributors only."

It would appear that they are falling under the M$ philosophy, their customers
would be the happiest if they only give money to Garmin.

That is of course the main bitch that I have with Garmin, is that their software
is not the best. If it was, then I would not complain either.

t.

 Thomas Emberson
 '01 BRG Sprint ST (last count 10 months old, 14,800 miles)
 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500