[ST] Let the Oil Debate Begin

Bill,

You have already received many replies on this subject, which is not officially scheduled to begin debate until Spring.  However, (and I follow the oil subject
closely) the basic idea is to avoid any "SJ" spec oil - regardless of the weight.  The SJ oil has lowered levels of Zinc and Phosphorous to extend catalytic
converter lifetimes in cars.  As far as I have read, SJ type oils are specifically not recommended in most bikes.

Instead, the older SG spec with higher additive levels is still recommended by most companies that I know of, including Triumph and Honda.  I may be wrong, but
the Mobil TriSynthetic car stuff  is a J spec oil - and regardless of whether 20-50 or 10-40, is not the best oil to use.  True, the 10-30 stuff has further
friction modifiers, but the primary issue is that the SJ oil has lower additive levels than the older SG.

I personally would not use any SJ oil in the Triumphs.  If necessary, I would prefer to buy a non-synthetic in an SG grade over an SJ synthetic oil.  The best
protection of course is simply use the recommended full synthetic in the "4T" grade, as sold by Mobil and others, such as Silkolene, as a 4T grade.  I never
realized it, but the "4T" designation is not simply a Mobil name, but rather a general grade of the oil (but not an official SAE grade).

All modern oils are excellent, I am sure, and engines will "run well" on them.  The problem is more that how well will the engine be running 100,000 miles from
now on a particular oil.

I use the Triumph 4T oil, with 3,000 mile oil changes, which is overkill.  However, I would rather run the 4T with the recommended 6,000 mile change, than an SJ
oil with 3,000 mile changes, if it came down to economics alone.  Plus, if (knock on wood) any engine warranty work is ever required, the burden of proof is not
on me for using a non-recommended grade of oil.  Assuming about 12,000 miles per year, two oil changes with the 4T oil is, roughly, perhaps $120 with filters.
The Mobil TriSynthetic or even a good motorcycle grade SG oil, such as Golden Spectro, is probably $50-60.  In my mind, the extra $60 or so each year is worth the
peace of mind I get, sleeping like a baby every night, knowing the correct oil lies in the stomach of my beloved ST.

Rick Hartwick zzzzzzz........
00 ST