[ST] Tire Changing Tools

Garrett,

I know half the list is going to want to kill me with envy, but let me tell you
about my tire changing tools.  After many frustrating years of struggling to change
tires, wasting days running the bike to various dealers, and getting ripped off
paying high prices for dealer tires, I bit the bullet and bought a professional tire
changing machine.

I bought the Coats 220 (which was always the standard manual machine found at many
motorcycle shops.  I got it from www.witco.com for $760 (US) delivered.  They also
have their own brand of tire machine, the MC110.100 for $388.00 delivered.  I went
with the Coats, since it is proven to work with all types of wheels and wheel depths
(even car tires), whereas with the Witco unit, it might not work if the wheel and
brake rotor are unusually deep.

Right after I bought mine 2 years ago, a local dealer sold his Coats 220 for $300
when he bought a new motorized machine (figures).

The biggest thing the machine accomplishes is to hold the rim securely so you can
work on the tire.  Working over an old grease barrel with tire irons is not nearly
as much fun, plus your wheels get all scratched up.  Once secured, (after breaking
the bead with the bead breaker included on the machine), you slip the 4 ft long iron
under the tire and walk it off like butter.  I usually put the new tires back on
manually with irons, which I think works easier than the tool they provide.  Plus,
buy a gallon of commercial tire lube at any car place - it is way better than soap.

Before you accuse me of snobbish excess, let me say this was the best money I ever
spent (besides from the Sprint).  When I get in tires for my Sprint now, I look
forward to changing them, and I usually have a set ahead, so I can change them
before a trip, or whenever I choose.  Total job time, perhaps 3/4 hour for both
front and rear.  My son motocrosses, so we buy new tires, run them for the 2 motos,
then change the tires back to old ones for practice tires during the week, and
re-mount the new tires on Saturday evening before the races.  He manages to stretch
a set of tires for 4-5 races this way, instead of  new tires about every other
week.  Plus, naturally, many friends and associates use the machine - I even get rid
of my old tires with a local kid who mounts my old tires on his rims to do burnouts
with - the possibilities are endless once you have one of these things.

It contains a breaker, so all you need is a balancer.  Aerostitch has a somewhat
overpriced unit, and Kona tools sells one.  There is another major company as well,
whose name I've forgotten, but balancing stands are easy to find for under $200.
All they are really is a stand to rest an axle of some sort on, with low-friction
bearings.  Just take your time, adding weights, until the wheel stops more or less
randomly.

You will always need tire irons, and some plastic rim protectors, to help out
nudging the tire in place.  Plus I always friction tape the clamping jaws of the
machine to prevent wheel gouging, which I find works better than the plastic
protectors with the machine.

The only other advice I have is to work hard to convince your wife of how much money
you will save over the years with your own tire machine before you have to sleep
with the dogs, although there is a certain charm in having it show up in the garage
by surprise - kind of like an anniversay present.  Over the several years I've had
the machine, I think I have more than paid for it in savings, since I can buy the
cheapest mail order prices, and avoid the time and hassle of running to dealers
begging them to change my tires for $20-40 apiece.  Plus, I don't gouge my rims the
way the kids at the local shop do.

Keep an eye out on the Internet, the local papers and even ask your dealer, as you
can find these Coats 220 manual machines around for a few hundred dollars if you are
lucky.

Rick Hartwick
00 ST

PS

Please don't send your tires and wheels - I am booked for this week.