From: Daphne Lowe [mailto:lowedaph@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: den 29 januari 2002 23:23
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST] Re: Turbulence

> annoying that I've been working on a harness to install the bag on the

> rear of the seat & just have the map holder on the tank.

You might want to take a look at http://www.rocketlocker.com What you
describe is exactly what their product does. Its essentially a "tankbag"
that mounts on the pillion seat via a rather cool (and patented)
mechanism secured to the underpinnings of the seat, and thus does not
use straps, bungee cords, or anything that would come in contact with
the bike's bodywork.

> How about some additional input here.  Do the lower profile
> curved-contour tankbags affect turbulence?

I dunno how much stuff you carry, but you might want to take a look at
this
also: http://www.speed-pac.com
It is a hardshell backpack with straps that can be used to mount it such
that it serves as a tankbag. I'm no engineer, but its profile looks
aerodynamic and would create minimal turbulence. The downside is that it
has a very limited carrying capacity.

Daphne

*   *