Re: [ST] does new chain require new sprockets?

Not neccesarily. While it is *best* to change all three items as a set, it
is not always required. It depends upon what condition the sprockets are in.
If you rode long and hard with the chain slapping around, chances are the
sprockets are trashed also.

OTOH, if like me, you kept the chain in "close to" proper adjustment until
the end of it's life, you'll be fine with just a new chain. In my case,
that's all I changed, and have had no problems at all. My RS' original
(Regina) chain needed only 2 adjustments until it hit 12,000 miles. Then it
needed to be adjusted in ever-increasing frequency. At 14,500, it started
getting some noticeable tight spots, and by 16,000, it was totally junk. I
never reached the end of travel on the adjusters, but that chain started
making quite a racket and noticeable drive-line snatch, so I had a local
shop replace it with a D.I.D. 530VM Gold. It cost me about $120, and they
wanted another $5 for the (D.I.D.) rivet-type master link.

The shop didn't have time to replace the chain when I picked it up, so I did
it myself using the clip-type link. A few days later, I rode it down and had
the shop replace that link with the riveted one. The D.I.D. chain (now
standard issue on all Triumphs, AFAIK) has performed great, only one adjust
and I'm at 23,500 miles right now.

The shop who sold you the chain could inspect the sprockets for you and make
a recommendation.

Ken M.