Re: [ST] does new chain require new sprockets?

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 09:55:48PM -0500, Ken Mitchell wrote:
> Not neccesarily. While it is *best* to change all three items as a set, it
> is not always required. It depends upon what condition the sprockets are in.
> If you rode long and hard with the chain slapping around, chances are
> the sprockets are trashed also.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I rode it.  :|

> OTOH, if like me, you kept the chain in "close to" proper adjustment until
> the end of it's life, you'll be fine with just a new chain. In my
> case, that's all I changed, and have had no problems at all.

Well, I thought I was keeping it adjusted pretty well (until this last
trip, apparently), as per the amount of freeplay the manual specifies,
but that was nowhere near as tight as the new one the shop put on.  I'm
worried it might be too tight, but I figure the shop probably knows
better than I do how tight it should be ... probably.

> My RS' original (Regina) chain needed only 2 adjustments until it
> hit 12,000 miles. Then it needed to be adjusted in ever-increasing
> frequency. At 14,500, it started getting some noticeable tight spots,
> and by 16,000, it was totally junk. I never reached the end of travel
> on the adjusters, but that chain started making quite a racket and
> noticeable drive-line snatch, so I had a local shop replace it with a

Yeah, drive-line snatch sounds like what I was experiencing riding down
to Austin.  I kept thinking the clutch was slipping, which *really* had
me worried.  I was actually relieved to discover I needed a new chain.

> The shop who sold you the chain could inspect the sprockets for you
> and make a recommendation.

Well, yeah, in fairness, they did say they looked worn, but without
new ones in stock, there was nothing to be done at the time.

Does the chain need to be broken apart to replace the sprockets?

Man, this chain stuff is a hassle.  First you gotta clean and lube them,
now I learn they're a wear item.  Makes me almost miss the ol' '83
Nighthawk 650--shaft drive, hydraulic valves, and a gear shift indicator
to boot.  If it only had good handling, gobs of power and a riding
position I could take for more than 50 miles.  I guess life's about
trade-offs.

Laters,
Brian
- --