[ST] A few minor problems

Hi all, this is not going to be a major crying message, just a detail about
some recent problems I have had with my 2000 ST.

It started with me starting the bike in the garage about mid November, after
a month of sitting. I let the bike warm up for about five minutes before I
noticed a good sized puddle of antifreeze under the bike. I pulled the left
side fairing and found a leak on the side of the radiator. It was leaking at
the small hose outlet, right where it attaches to the radiator side tank. I
called my dealer in Medford Oregon, 130 miles away, and made arrangements to
bring it in. They said it sounded like a warranty problem and they were
right. When I dropped it off, I asked if they would down load the latest
tune while they had the bike.

I waited for several weeks before I called back to see how the bike was
doing and they informed me they replaced the radiator but had a problem
downloading a tune. It seems the bike would not accept any download. They
checked their equipment of another bike and it checked out ok. A little
further investigation revealed a badly corroded wire under the fuel tank,
and informed me they had already received permission from Triumph to order a
new wiring loom. I'm ok with all this so far.

Now comes the part I am not comfortable with, you might recall I am the one
who made my own muffler by gutting the inside of the stock muffler and
building a straight-through baffle pipe, with internal slots and stainless
steel packing. The dealer informs me that they can not download a tune that
is compatible with my muffler because it doesn't have sufficient back
pressure. They said, I need to install a silencer that is either stock or
similar to the Triumph off road silencer, specifically they want to sell me
the Triumph off road silencer. I am not sure I am buying into this
statement. I would like to hear from the group on this. Is there merit to
what this dealer is saying? or are they just trying to make another dollar?
I guess I trust they are not trying to rip me off, but I am not sure they
really know what they are talking about. Also, when I asked what tune number
they would be downloading, they indicated they didn't know they numbers of
the tunes, they just went with what Triumph provided them. That concerned me
and I informed them that there was quite a lot of talk about the various
tunes on this and other internet sites. When I last talked to them they said
that Triumph told them they are downloading the number 12 tune.

By the way, does $315 sound right for the stainless steel  off road
silencer?

Mike Benzon

End of st-digest V2002 #65